Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday, August 15 - Kindergarten

    I was so tired that morning, much like every morning, but this one was different. It was morning of my first day of kindergarten. There's not much that I remember in the days when I was a wee lad, but this day was different. It was the first time I left home for a few hours. The school was so close to my house, why did I have to leave for just a few short hours a day, why couldn't I stay home? That's what I would have thought at the time if I could think for myself then. Like most young children, all information is fed to you, the only time you have for thinking is during playtime with your imagination.
   It was scary at first, the homeroom was huge, you could smell the school pizza that was being made for lunch which I recall smelled quite differently from regular pizza, and I knew nobody. I just wanted to go home, until recess, which was the conclusion of each and every day of kindergarten. Recess was what I looked forwards to from kindergarten to eighth grade, I made sure to establish that much throughout school.
    So many posters of the alphabet or first ten digits across the room, cardboard cut outs and construction paper everywhere, it was extremely overwhelming. My short attention span quickly made the room boring and such a bore to be in that I spent most of my time daydreaming. What I daydreamed about can't be brought up to mind; it is lost in the cesspool of other children's thoughts and imaginations. This is what makes kindergarten unique, we all have different perspectives as little tykes and your classmates are learning the same material as you, but how you interact with what you learn, incorporating your imagination is what this an unforgettable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment